The Recovery Centre is available to any caretaker requiring space for feral or stray cats recovering from spay/neuter surgery. The maximum capacity of the Centre must not exceed 40 cats with present equipment and volunteer levels.
Request for recovery space must be received a minimum of 48 hours in advance by filling out the Recovery Space Reservation Form. We know how difficult it is to know in advance how many cats you are going to trap, or if you will even be successful. If you plan on trapping, please book space for the maximum number of cats you could trap based on the number of traps you will be using. We ask that you make recovery space reservations as soon as you begin making plans to trap. We don't mind if you don't show up for your reservation, but we cannot accommodate walk ins.
Effective January 01, 2020, the fee structure of the Recovery Centre has changed as follows:
For cats and caretakers meeting all of the following criteria the service is available for a flat rate of $5 per cat:
- the cat is to have been trapped from a registered colony within the City of Toronto
- the caretaker must have taken the TNR Workshop hosted by Community Cats Toronto
- the cat has to have been spayed/neutered at either a Toronto Street Cats, Toronto Humane Society, or Toronto Animal Services TNR clinic.
- the trappers must adhere to all rules regarding the use of the facilities.
For cats and caretakers under the following circumstances, the service is available for a flat rate of $10 per cat:
- the cat was trapped outside of City of Toronto boundaries
- the caretaker has not taken the TNR Workshop hosted by the Community Cats Toronto
- the cat has been spayed/neutered at a clinic other than a Toronto Street Cats clinic, a Toronto Animal Services TNR clinic, or a Toronto Humane Society TNR clinic.
Once you have requested recovery space via the Recovery Space Reservation Form, you will be notified by email of The Recovery Centre's hours for the period that you will be trapping. If you have not received notification within 48 hours of placing the request, please email us at email@example.com. All intake MUST be done during our published intake hours. As a volunteer run facility, we are unable to offer alternate intake times, on call, or extended hours.
Cats must arrive at the Recovery Centre in approved double ended traps. Cats arriving in carriers, feral dens, transfer boxes, etc. will not be admitted.
Caretakers will be expected to complete several forms for each cat coming in to the Recovery Centre. It is helpful to have the following information readily available:
- Description of cat.
- Name under whom the surgery and recovery space has been booked, their phone number, and their email address.
- Name under whom the colony is registered. (colony caretaker)
- Name under which the colony has been registered. (colony location or name)
- Exact address where the cat has been trapped and will be released (this information is mandatory, will be kept strictly confidential and is only accessible to Centre managers).
When available, transportation will be provided by Centre volunteers for cats attending the Toronto Animal Services East TNR clinic only. Caretakers using any other clinic will be responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the clinic.
Standard Recovery Times
Recovery times are based on TNR best practices and are as follows:
Healthy male - 24 hours
Healthy female - 24-48 hours
Lactating female - 12 hours
Late term spay abort - 48-72 hours
Extended recovery times will be available only under direction of a veterinarian or in exceptional circumstances as decided by the Recovery Centre management.
All cats recovering from standard spay/neuter surgery will be recovered in traps. This is the safest method for both the cats and our volunteers.
Following surgery, caretakers will be informed of the discharge date and time for their cat(s). Discharge times are scheduled in the evening to make it as easy as possible for our volunteers and those caretakers that work during the day. All caretakers are expected to abide by these discharge times.
All parties must recognize that the lack of adherence to these practices can and will lead to the suspension or revocation of the privilege of using the Recovery Centre.
Any questions about the policies and procedures outlined in this document should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org